Moving Animals

I kind of figured moving the goats over was going to be interesting. They did fine, but it was a little difficult getting the goats into the truck. And then, of course, they also didn't want to get out of the truck either. Goats.

We borrowed my Granddaddy's truck because it has a cover on the back. It took all of us, and a bowl of grain, to get those goats in the truck. They wanted the grain, of course, but when Jeremy put the bowl in the truck to lure them in, they weren't having it.

So I climbed in to demonstrate the safety of the truck.

They walked away.

So it was time for a little manhandling. We wrestled Pippy in and closed the back. Then Jeremy and Gideon grabbed Addy and wrestled her in. The babies were easier, but only because they are so much smaller.

Jeremy and the big kids got in the truck to rush them home, the littles and I jumped in the van to follow. We could see the goats' heads bobbing around the whole way home. The big kids were talking to them and keeping them calm. Of course, they were fine. They finished off the bowl of grain and stood in the truck with their legs spread wide for balance.

We pulled up to the barn and opened the hatch. They stood there. Gideon finally grabbed Pippy's collar and led her out. The rest followed. They were pretty pleased with all the grass. We've temporarily put up our solar electric fence to keep them contained while Jeremy builds the rest of the fence.

Anyway, the goats started eating and exploring. We didn't want them to get sick with the new abundance of food so we only let them out for an hour the first day and built up their time over the next few days. They seem happy and healthy though. Their coats are looking shinier, they're chewing cud quite often, and their poop is looking exactly like it should. Brown beads that aren't clumped or stuck together.

These are the things you look at to determine if a goat is healthy, in case you didn't know.

To move the chickens over, we waited until dark. It's much easier to capture sleeping chickens than running chickens. We grabbed them off the roasting ladder and threw them in the truck. They were mostly insulted but couldn't really see or wake up enough to complain much. The last was a broody hen whose eggs we had to leave. She was really cranky, poor thing.

They were much more awake when we got them home. We got them to come out of the truck and set up a roasting ladder for them. They wanted to let us know about the disgrace of being moved in such a way, but it was late and they were tired.

All in all, it went pretty smoothly. For now, the goats and chickens are sharing the big barn. Eventually, they won't, but it works for now. The chickens love all the foraging they are able to do, and of course, the goats love getting fatter. The first day we had to herd the chickens back up to the barn, but since then they've gotten up there by themselves.

It feels wonderful to have the sounds of the barn all around the house again. Although, our beautiful, fresh, new barn started smelling like an old barn within the first day.

So we're all home and healthy now. We've been organizing the house a bit to make it a little easier to live while we're renovating. Once we finish the fence, we'll start work on the house again. But for now, the fence comes first. We've gotten all of the big posts in, next comes the bracers between those posts.

No comments

I have affiliate links on this blog! This means if you click on one and make a purchase, I will earn a commission. This does not affect the price of your purchase, but it is a wonderful way to support my family and me through this blog and to keep this blog up and running. So we thank you!