The Master Bedroom's Walls


We are slowly making progress on the master bedroom. The master bathroom still looks like a gutted room. But I have to trust Jeremy because this is how he works. He takes forever to figure out how to do something, and then finally does it really quickly.




Right now, we're in the figuring out stage. And this is something he hasn't done before, so it's taking a really, really long time to figure it out.

I'm being patient...although I could probably stand to be a little more patient.

But progress on the master bedroom is moving right along. I've been working my way down from the ceiling toward the floors. It's working so far, but I am going to have to go back up to make some touch-ups.

First thing, Jeremy had to replace the top two boards of the outside wall. When the previous owners put the paneling up, they drilled holes into the bead board to blow in some insulation. Which is great for us, but we also had to repair the holes. We were thankfully able to reuse some bead board from the bathroom ceiling.





The rest of the bead board walls basically only needed to be wiped down and caulked. But there was so much caulking to do! I keep thinking we all need to buy some stock in caulk because I'm going to go through a lot of caulk. This first room took 7 or 8 tubes!

I greatly dislike caulking. There is always one more spot I missed. And it just gets everywhere. I was using Alexa Plus, but then I found Alexa Fast-Drying and even though it's more expensive, I like it so much more. There's no sheen under the paint, which is the best part, and it really does seem to go on easier. The Plus was supposed to be paintable after 30 minutes, but wouldn't be dry enough after an hour. I also have this handy dandy little tool to help me with the caulking. A rag works pretty much the same, except that I can move the excess caulk around so I have less waste. Jeremy says I'll be an expert caulker before this house is done.

So I've been caulking all the holes, scraping out some old caulk in places, and also caulking the room's trim. Ugh. Caulk, caulk, caulk.


Jeremy had to hang cove trim in the corners and move the closet door around. I'm so excited about having two closets, I can't even tell you! Jeremy's closet is against the underside of the stairwell and has an access through the closet. He's planning on using the stairwell as storage for his hunting and fishing stuff. It's a big enough space for his rods and guns. (Which is wonderful news because I don't have to find space somewhere else in the house to put all that stuff!) It was pretty easy for him to move the door because the door frame was only attached to the wall by the trim, so he pulled the trim off, and the whole frame came with it. Then it was just cutting a hole in our room. (We've still got the hole in the school room, but we'll fix that later.) All of this meant more caulking for me to do.





I can't even remember what else I did to the walls. Well, except for the painting. Oh, the painting! It was a pain too! Because of the beautiful grooved bead boards, I couldn't just roll. So I had to brush over the entire wall surface. I would roll a small area, and then brush the paint into all the grooves. It took me about 4 hours to do the entire room. I didn't have to brush the second coat, though.

We choose Alabaster White by Sherwin Williams for our white. We tried several other whites, but none brightened up the rooms like Alabaster did. I'll be using it as my white for the whole house, and for our room, I wanted white walls too. So the ceiling is Alabaster in flat, the walls are in egg-shell, and the trim is semi-gloss. I love that it's nice and bright, without being sterile.







Ahh! New paint looks so nice and clean and pretty. It makes me feel like we've actually gotten something done.


3 comments

  1. I think I missed a few of your other posts, this is looking great. Here's an idea for your trim we painted our paneled walls too. But we used cedar fence boards for the base trim but them to our liking and then stained prior to applying. Then above we used 2 x 1 pine boards (after the ceiling was finished) Stained them the same color and it turned out awesome. Contrast was just a little different between both styles of wood which was nice. I think I may have posted pictures on my Instagram at one point. Well I just looked I didn't post the finished picture but there is images of the ceiling and the moldings outside drying. Anyways it didn't break the bank and it looks awesome.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should post a picture! I'd love to see the finished results, the ceiling and trim are so pretty. The room had crown molding installed, so when we took it down we were very careful and were able to save it to re-install.

      Delete
  2. Found you when looking for a DIY clothes lines on pintrest and then discovered your blog.
    I have enjoyed reading about your projects (okay, we can call them trials too if necessary!) We bought 13 acres ten years ago and finally were able to build a home on it. Our plan being to downsize since we only have 1 kid left at home and didn't need a 5 bedroom home any longer. Every time we dig a fence post hole, I claim it's the last one. Only to my dismay. I lost count after 170 holes and now think I should have an eagle scout badge or the female equivalent of one. Your barn building story is so in line with ours that I was able to chuckle about the process when viewed from your perspective. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete