Putting Down a Floor & Moving Goats in

It's funny how fast and busy those weeks off are, isn't it? Jeremy took a week of vacation time to get some homestead work done because we were getting behind. He's working his regular full-time job, and working at Spring Lake Family Farms a lot to get that business up and running. It's going so well, but the homestead work was getting pushed to the wayside. And we needed to play catch up because we have babies coming!

The agenda for the week was to:

  • get the extra goats' room finished and move in ready, 
  • get the potatoes buried
  • get a fence put up around the garden
  • cull the roosters

We got a lot done, but not all of it. The roosters are still terrorizing me. Roosters in the spring are awful. We're hoping to get that done this weekend before the babies get here. I don't want them anywhere near the goats when they are kidding, or after either.

Anyway, we did get some potatoes buried (will one row be enough?), the garden fence put up, and the goat room ready for the kidding.

The new goat room used to be the chicken coop. We (ahem, Jeremy) built the new chicken coop over the summer, and we wanted to put a floor down in the old coop room for the goats to use for kidding and us to use for milking.

So Jeremy went to work. Even though the man has been cursed with this garage-turned-barn that is about as square as a triangle, he still always figures out a way. Putting down the floor took measuring each piece, notching out pieces, and even ripping the final piece at a diagonal.

(The white stuff on the ground is lime to killed off any bacteria that were lurking there, although it's been almost a year since the chickens lived in there.)

He got it done! And it is so nice and sturdy.

The goats did not think so.

If you want to keep a goat out of a place, try to lure, push, bribe them into the place. If you want goats to go into a room, try to keep them out. Apparently, goats are stubborn.

Both goats acted like the new floor was a killing floor, and would not step foot on it. Sissy has been sick, so she was even worse about it. Pippy eventually got curious enough to come in and check it out. We left their food in there, bribed them with pine needles and greenery, left hay and water in there. But Sissy was not going in.

Jeremy finally shoved her in and we left the both of them in there for a night to get used to it together. We'd like to separate them, in case one goes into labor and the other gets in the way, but we also don't want to stress them out. I think we'll be able to separate them for a night or two before the kidding starts. They did well the first night together. 

And in the morning, I convinced Sissy to eat in there. By slowly moving the food bowl in deeper and deeper. She's a nut. She kept a foot out for the longest time, and then when she finished eating she went on in to lay down. (Look at that big milk sack! No wonder she's been struggling.)

We are the worst about getting ready for new babies around here at the last possible minute. We're almost there, though, I hope we make it!

Anyone else getting ready for farm babies for the first time?


  1. I'm bad about waiting until the last minute, too! I'm glad you were able to get it finished. I bet it's a load off of your mind to have so many things crossed off your list! (Although it seems like the list is never ending.)


I have affiliate links on this blog! This means if you click on one and make a purchase, I will earn a commission. This does not affect the price of your purchase, but it is a wonderful way to support my family and me through this blog and to keep this blog up and running. So we thank you!